Sunday, January 25, 2009

Ask the Author: Why didn’t you become a cop?

Answer: It’s simply not my vocation. For many in my family, becoming a Chicago police officer has not only been their career choice, but their vocation. I’m a big believer that we all have to find our vocation in life and police work just isn’t that calling for me. I took the police test and went through some steps, including the physical, but I can’t say I ever had a real desire to pursue that life. I knew I wanted to be a writer and I’m grateful that’s just the life I’ve landed on; I’ve found work that feeds my soul and my stomach.

Ask the Author is a running series of live audience or reader questions directed at On the Job author Daniel P. Smith. The series, which appears each Monday, is aimed at providing greater insight into Smith’s work in researching and writing On the Job: Behind the Stars of the Chicago Police Department as well as the book’s content. A speaker noted for his energy and engaging style, Smith is available for presentations at a wide range of events, including private book clubs, Citizen Police Academy meetings, libraries, senior centers, and schools. Please contact him directly at smithwriting@gmail.com to schedule an event.

Are you a reader with a question for
On the Job author Daniel P. Smith? Send it to
smithwriting@gmail.com.

No comments: