Monday, January 12, 2009

Ask the Author: How many officers did you interview in writing On the Job?

Answer: I spoke to over 100 current and past officers in writing On the Job, though I only profile 19 in the book. Those 19 officers are individuals I had in-depth discussions with about their personal history and careers. Oftentimes, I found myself returning to them for additional insight or detail. Many of the other officers who are not referenced by name in the book provided background information, shared their personal thoughts, and provided clarification on different points. At some point, I knew I had to cut off the text. I wanted the book to be an accessible read and it simply would not have been so had I provided readers 100 stories and it ran 600 pages.

Ask the Author is a running series of live audience or reader questions directed at On the Job author Daniel P. Smith. The series, which appears each Monday, is aimed at providing greater insight into Smith’s work in researching and writing On the Job: Behind the Stars of the Chicago Police Department as well as the book’s content. A speaker noted for his energy and engaging style, Smith is available for presentations at a wide range of events, including private book clubs, Citizen Police Academy meetings, libraries, senior centers, and schools. Please contact him directly at smithwriting@gmail.com to schedule an event.

Are you a reader with a question for On the Job author Daniel P. Smith? Send it to
smithwriting@gmail.com.

No comments: