Monday, January 5, 2009

Ask the Author: Where did you get the idea for On the Job?

Answer: I was teaching English at a suburban Chicago high school and I gave my three classes of sophomores, about 75 students, a project in which they had to go to one of Studs Terkel’s books and find an interesting character Studs had interviewed. The students had to then discuss how that individual felt about their “place” in life. About 20 of the students picked police officers. My first thought was that the students were cheating, but I soon found that the students who had picked the same officers had no social connections to one another. Their decision to examine one of the many officers Studs talked to arrived from a sincere and natural interest in police work. I thought back to my own personal life and considered how intrigued people were when I told them I was from a large Chicago Police family. And right there the idea for On the Job was born. I knew I had a book. My teaching career ended in June 2004 and by the end of the month I had written the book’s introduction, which is virtually unchanged from what readers see today.

Ask the Author is a running series of live audience or reader questions directed at On the Job author Daniel P. Smith. The series is aimed at providing greater insight into Smith’s work in researching and writing On the Job: Behind the Stars of the Chicago Police Department as well as the book’s content. A speaker noted for his energy and engaging style, Smith is available for presentations at a wide range of events, including private book clubs, Citizen Police Academy meetings, libraries, senior centers, and schools. Please contact him directly at smithwriting@gmail.com to schedule an event.

Are you a reader with a question for On the Job author Daniel P. Smith? Send it to
smithwriting@gmail.com.

No comments: