Monday, January 19, 2009

Ask the Author: Did you have to get clearance from the city or police department to do this project?

Answer: In a word, no. I tried to avoid 35th and Michigan (police headquarters) as much as possible. First, I didn't want to get tied up in the bureaucracy and red tape that often governs getting such clearance. Second, I didn't want them "steering" the book in any way. And third, I thought it to important to use my personal contacts as much as possible, which would allow me greater access to officers and certainly help make the whole interview process seem a lot more conversational and a lot less formal. I wanted officers to speak to me because they wanted to share their stories and not because they were told they needed to speak with "this guy writing a book." The only interaction I had with the police "system" was when I made a Freedom of Information Act request for 911 calls to the 11th District (many thanks to Kevin Smith at the Office of Emergency Management for his prompt response) and when I called the very pleasant Sgt. Kristin Barker to get a copy of the CPD's organizational flow chart.

Ask the Author is a running series of live audience or reader questions directed at On the Job author Daniel P. Smith. The series, which appears each Monday, is aimed at providing greater insight into Smith’s work in researching and writing On the Job: Behind the Stars of the Chicago Police Department as well as the book’s content. A speaker noted for his energy and engaging style, Smith is available for presentations at a wide range of events, including private book clubs, Citizen Police Academy meetings, libraries, senior centers, and schools. Please contact him directly at smithwriting@gmail.com to schedule an event.

Are you a reader with a question for
On the Job author Daniel P. Smith? Send it to smithwriting@gmail.com.

No comments: