Monday, April 13, 2009

Ask the Author: How much research went into On the Job?

Answer: I suppose I had been unknowingly researching this book for years as I listened to my uncles, brother, and others tell their Chicago Police stories, but my work didn't officially begin until late 2004. My initial research was all interviews and ride-alongs. From there, I wrote a first draft. This first draft, however, was merely 19 magazine-length personality profiles. One story wasn't connected to the next except by the subjects’ shared occupation and city. From there, Lake Claremont Press Publisher Sharon Woodhouse and I agreed that the book needed a reinvention, a more fluid and connected structure. Over the next months, I read everything I could get my hands on regarding the CPD as the book's reinvention took shape. I then divided the book into four units: a look at Chicago's criminal landscape; history of CPD; culture and organization of CPD; and, finally, the psychology of being the CPD. Each intro has an approximately 4,000-word intro and is then followed by the 4-6 personality profiles that relate to that unit heading. For example, in the history unit I speak with an officer from the '68 Democratic National Convention and then follow his career forward.

Ask the Author is a running series of live audience or reader questions directed at On the Job author Daniel P. Smith. The series, which appears each Monday, is aimed at providing greater insight into Smith’s work in researching and writing On the Job: Behind the Stars of the Chicago Police Department as well as the book’s content. A speaker noted for his energy and engaging style, Smith is available for presentations at a wide range of events, including private book clubs, Citizen Police Academy meetings, libraries, senior centers, and schools. Please contact him directly at smithwriting@gmail.com to schedule an event.

Are you a reader with a question for
On the Job author Daniel P. Smith? Send it to
smithwriting@gmail.com.

No comments: