Monday, April 20, 2009

Ask the Author: How different is life when you grow up in a cop family?

(From Beth at Prairie Trails Public Library)

My father was a Chicago cop, but my folks divorced when I was three. He left the department soon after that and has played little role in my life since. I wouldn’t say growing up in a cop family is different, but there’s certainly an awareness to crime that I think many of my contemporaries ignore. For example, I’m double checking that my car and house doors are locked. I have to sit in restaurants facing the door. I look in my rear view mirrors at stoplights. Such daily routines are entirely a product of my upbringing and the knowledge that crime can strike, particularly if one is careless. Other than that, growing up in a cop family led to some interesting dinner conversations; I got to know plenty about Chicago’s underbelly, civic landscape, and character. I can honestly say I was more "aware" of the city and its reality on a variety of fronts, including social, political, historical, and geographical.

Ask the Author is a running series of live audience or reader questions directed at On the Job author Daniel P. Smith. The series, which appears each Monday, is aimed at providing greater insight into Smith’s work in researching and writing On the Job: Behind the Stars of the Chicago Police Department as well as the book’s content. A speaker noted for his energy and engaging style, Smith is available for presentations at a wide range of events, including private book clubs, Citizen Police Academy meetings, libraries, senior centers, and schools. Please contact him directly at smithwriting@gmail.com to schedule an event.

Are you a reader with a question for
On the Job author Daniel P. Smith? Send it to
smithwriting@gmail.com.

No comments: