Monday, June 15, 2009

Ask the Author: Who inspires you?

Answer: I could go on for quite a while listing a number of authors, thinkers, and notable individuals I’ve known personally who’ve moved me in some way to push along this path. Rather than bore you with that, however, I’ll settle with these two:

1.) I’ve long been inspired by Antoine de Saint-Exupery, author of The Little Prince, who showed how complex and philosophical and real even a simple story and its characters could be. In all of my work, I seek to find the extraordinary in the ordinary much like Saint-Exupery.

2.) On a wider scale, I’m inspired by anyone who wants to share their story in a sincere, honest way. I love people who accept the vulnerability that comes with sharing a piece of their life so that I may take up the challenge of crafting a story around their words and experiences. It’s such people who guide On the Job and will continue to blanket my work.

Ask the Author is a running series of live audience or reader questions directed at On the Job author Daniel P. Smith. The series, which appears each Monday, is aimed at providing greater insight into Smith’s work in researching and writing On the Job: Behind the Stars of the Chicago Police Department as well as the book’s content. A speaker noted for his energy and engaging style, Smith is available for presentations at a wide range of events, including private book clubs, Citizen Police Academy meetings, libraries, senior centers, and schools. Please contact him directly at smithwriting@gmail.com to schedule an event.

Are you a reader with a question for On the Job author Daniel P. Smith? Send it to smithwriting@gmail.com.

No comments: