Monday, March 23, 2009

Ask the Author: How difficult was it to get officers to talk with you?

from John at the Schaumburg CPA Alumni meeting

Answer: Not very difficulty, primarily because I adhered to a long-held Chicago principle espoused by Ol’ Mayor Daley—“We don’t want nobody nobody sent.” Personal recommendations got me to every officer I sat with. My work began with the referrals of my family members, namely my brother and uncles and I benefited immensely from the credibility they have with their colleagues. When I met with individual officers, I then asked them about quality, story-filled officers they knew and from there it spread. No cold calling on my part though; the personal recommendations were central to my access and helped separate me from the many other writers who seek to explore the Chicago Police world.

Ask the Author is a running series of live audience or reader questions directed at On the Job author Daniel P. Smith. The series, which appears each Monday, is aimed at providing greater insight into Smith’s work in researching and writing On the Job: Behind the Stars of the Chicago Police Department as well as the book’s content. A speaker noted for his energy and engaging style, Smith is available for presentations at a wide range of events, including private book clubs, Citizen Police Academy meetings, libraries, senior centers, and schools. Please contact him directly at smithwriting@gmail.com to schedule an event.

Are you a reader with a question for
On the Job author Daniel P. Smith? Send it to
smithwriting@gmail.com.

No comments: