Sunday, February 22, 2009

Ask the Author: Who's your favorite officer in the book?

Answer: To be honest, I can't really say I have a "favorite" as each story stands on its own and has its own unique element. For instance, my most enjoyable conversations came with John O'Shea, a rookie officer at the 1968 Democratic Convention who shares a heartfelt story about a murdered girl named Miracle Moon. Mike Cummins, who discusses faith and police work, was my most insightful, philosophic interview. Jim Rohrlack showed me how empathy and police work was a two-way street among citizens and officers. Miguel Rios was my most dramatic interview as he discussed the aftermath of having to kill an offender. Bill Jaconetti, nearing retirment, was my most refreshing interview--an ol' timer who wasn't the least bit jaded by his years on the job. Jaconetti "got it" like few do. So from each interview, I received something special, something unique, and something that remains with me. Above all, I'm grateful I found so many men and women willing to share their stories and personal history in such a sincere, open way.


Ask the Author is a running series of live audience or reader questions directed at On the Job author Daniel P. Smith. The series, which appears each Monday, is aimed at providing greater insight into Smith’s work in researching and writing On the Job: Behind the Stars of the Chicago Police Department as well as the book’s content. A speaker noted for his energy and engaging style, Smith is available for presentations at a wide range of events, including private book clubs, Citizen Police Academy meetings, libraries, senior centers, and schools. Please contact him directly at smithwriting@gmail.com to schedule an event.

Are you a reader with a question for On the Job author Daniel P. Smith? Send it to
smithwriting@gmail.com.

No comments: